Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Marital Finance 101

Over the years, my wife and I have gotten better at working together on our finances, but still can always improve. I'm the biggest part of the problem. I'm an anal-retentive CPA type that can't give up too much control. I've recently gotten to the point where I do as much of our banking, bills, etc. on the internet. It is convenient and both of us can keep tabs on the bank account, even when I'm half-way around the world.

Yesterday, Heidi mentioned that she had used the debit card for a Wal-Mart run. I asked for the receipt. She said...."wait....you don't get a receipt from the Mortgage Co., Phone Co., etc. that you do on-line billing with....besides, you can check the bank account tomorrow and get the exact amount......you have to choose....either the old-fashioned paper-receipt world or the modern internet world".... I persisted......"but, I get an e-mail from them telling me the details".....and here is what I got:

  • -----Original Message-----
  • From: Heidi Woolard
  • Sent: Tuesday, August 29, 2006 7:26 AM
  • To: Woolard, Paul E.
  • Subject:
  • Your debit card has been charged 93 dollars and some odd cents for the following things at Wal-Mart:
    First one thing
    And then another.
She won! (But did later gave me the receipt....thank goodness......).

2 Comments:

Blogger HW said...

Now that I know how easy it is, I'll just keep you electronically up to date with the same kind of detailed record keeping that I sent you this morning. This will certainly cut down on the paper clutter that accumulates in the bottom of my purse.....

4:31 PM  
Blogger Beaner said...

LOL!!! You guys are funny. We've got a strange system, that I'm afraid might not be working as good as it could be: I balance the checkbook to the statements & spend most of the money during the day (i.e. food, gas, etc.) while Dwight pays the bills. I think it might be better if I did all of it like I used to, but he knows how to do all that internet billing stuff. I still like a paper trail (I'm an ex-banker, you know....we like our paper trails!!!)

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home